What to ask your nanny right now
SitterCentral Miami believes communication is key to any happy relationship– particularly one as intimate as nanny-family. Whether you're starting out with a new nanny or doing an evaluation, you should know the answers to these questions...
- Beliefs. Religion? Discipline? Lifestyle? Make sure your nanny knows what’s important to you and that you know what’s important to her. Relationships are a two-way street. You can think you have a perfect nanny, but if you don’t agree on these, it might not be a perfect fit- and you don’t want to find out six months down the road and start all over.
- Inform yourself. It’s in your best interest to know as much as you can about your nanny. What is her family life like? Who is she dating? Is she emotionally stable?
- Future plans. Does your nanny plan to go back to school? Is there a potential that your family relocates? We’re trying to create long-lasting relationships and, although you might be afraid of the answer you may get, it’s better to know upfront.
- Staying healthy. Have you noticed what your nanny eats during the day? Is she eating enough to be at 100%? Discuss things like staying hydrated and taking time for lunch.
- Family issues that could affect your child. Tell your nanny about things like divorce, loss of job or a move so she can be prepared & let you know about any red flags.
- Feedback on parent/child relationship. Your nanny has a special relationship with your child and may provide an interesting perspective – if you are willing to listen.
- Boundaries. Do you consider your nanny to be part of your family? Or do you keep her at a distance? Every family is different, but both parties should be on the same page.
- Respect. Ask your nanny what her definition of respect is and make sure its mutual. Clarifying the definition of respect will create a strong foundation for co-parenting.
If you don’t already know the answers to these questions, you should. Send this to your friends – they should know too. It’s time. Click here to get started ASAP.
SitterCental Miami connects families with top quality nannies, babysitters, housekeepers and other household help. They prescreen all potential employees and stay with parents every step of the way (initial application to placement follow-up). Start your nanny search today at 305-323-5317